In the Australian states and territories. recently released data has shown the annual total of cancer cases hitting a whopping 21,855 with 7,531 ending up in deaths state wide. Slip, Slop, Slap as the old saying goes, slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen and slap on a hat must be put into action for these increasing rates to lessen. We all need sun exposure it’s our primary source of vitamin D, which helps us absorb calcium for stronger, healthier bones. Safety must be taken into accordance before stepping outside. But with the temperature rising along with the UV heading into summer people are at a high risk of developing any of the following!
What is it? Severe depletion of bodily fluids
- Muscle spasms
- Racing pulse
- Shriveled skin
- Dim vision
Treatment: If dehydration is the removal of water from the body, then the treatment of dehydration to reverse its effects would logically be rehydration. When a person has become severely dehydrated they have also lost electrolytes through the body so replenishing these stores as well as water hydration is very important.
What is it? One of the most severe forms of heat illness and is a life-threatening. It is the result of long, extreme exposure to the sun, in which a person does not sweat enough to lower body their temperature.
- The body temperature must be lowered instantly.
- The victim should be moved to a cool area and clothing should be removed to encourage inactive cooling. Energetic cooling methods can be used also.
- The victim should be positioned into the revival pose to make sure that their airway remains open.
- Cool the person by sponging with damp towel.
- Water containing electrolyte, juices and glucose should be given to the victim.
What is it? A condition marked by dizziness and nausea and weakness caused by depletion of body fluids and electrolytes.
- Heavy sweating
- Muscle cramps
- Cool, non-alcoholic beverages, as directed by your physician
- Cool shower, bath, or sponge bath
- An air-conditioned environment
- Lightweight clothing
A REAL PAIN IN THE NECK? If you’re experiencing neck pain, amazingly you may well be ...
Add your thoughts…